Current:Home > NewsMessi says he “feels much better” and hopeful of playing in Tokyo after PR disaster in Hong Kong -Infinite Edge Learning
Messi says he “feels much better” and hopeful of playing in Tokyo after PR disaster in Hong Kong
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:59:50
TOKYO (AP) — Look for Lionel Messi to play in Wednesday’s friendly in Tokyo with Inter Miami facing Japanese club Vissel Kobe.
And don’t look for another public-relations disaster as happened on Sunday when Argentina’s World Cup-winning captain sat on the bench for the entire match against a selection of players from the Hong Kong league, angering thousands of fans who demanded refunds.
Teammate Luis Suarez — another big name on the club — also remained on the bench.
Messi, who has rarely spoken to the media in an open setting since moving in July to Inter Miami, showed up Tuesday at a news conference in a five-star Tokyo hotel. He sat alone on a stool on stage, wore a pink warm-up jacket, and showed a bit of humility.
He was surely under pressure from local Japanese sponsors, including Vissel Kobe where his former Barcelona teammate Andres Iniesta became a Japanese crowd favorite before leaving last year.
“The truth is that I feel very good compared to a few days ago,” Messi said, speaking in Spanish. “And depending on how that (training) goes. And if I’m honest, I still don’t know if I will be able to or not. But I feel much better and I really want to be able to do it.”
Messi tried to explain to Hong Kong fans, saying it was impossible for him to play with a groin injury. Some suggested he could have simply trotted around for a few minutes, which might have satisfied fans in a game that is largely meaningless except for its promotional value.
“The truth is that it was bad luck that I couldn’t (play) on the day of the Hong Kong match,” Messi said, adding that the “discomfort continued and it was very difficult for me to play.”
“Unfortunately, in football, things can happen in any game, that we may have an injury,” he added. “It’s a shame because I always want to participate, I want to be there, and even more so when it comes to these games when we travel so far and people are so excited to see our matches.”
Inter Miami’s global tour has been disappointing as the club tries to build a brand, using veteran players like Messi and Suarez. Through five games from El Salvador, to Dallas, to Saudi Arabia and Hong Kong, Inter Miami has won only once and has been outscored 12-7.
The Asian tour wraps up on Wednesday in Tokyo’s National stadium, the $1.4 billion venue built for the Tokyo Olympics that were held in 2021 because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mark Conrad, who teaches law, ethics and sports business at Fordham University’s Gabelli School of Business, reminded fans that a ticket is for a game and does not guarantee a player’s participation.
“While it may be true that many fans purchased tickets with the hope of seeing Messi, the ticket is to watch the match, not a specific player — unless there is a condition that says otherwise,” Conrad told The Associated Press.
“While it is likely true that the pricing and the interest was in large part due to Messi’s participation, his failure to play does not generally constitute a breach of contract.”
Messi said he hoped to visit Hong Kong again — and play this time.
“I hope we can return and we can play another game and I can be present,” he said. “As I do whenever I can. But the truth is that it is a shame that I was not able to participate.”
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Argentina’s Peronist machine is in high gear to shore up shaky votes before the presidential runoff
- Thousands of Starbucks workers go on a one-day strike on one of chain's busiest days
- Second arrest made in Halloween weekend shooting in Tampa that killed 2, injured 16 others
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- 5 European nations and Canada seek to join genocide case against Myanmar at top UN court
- House Ethics Committee report on George Santos finds substantial evidence of wrongdoing
- Live updates | With communications down, UNRWA warns there will be no aid deliveries across Rafah
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- GM autoworkers approve new contract, securing wage increases
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Supreme Court leaves in place pause on Florida law banning kids from drag shows
- Why 'The Suite Life' fans are reminding Cole, Dylan Sprouse about a TV dinner reservation
- Authorities arrest man in death of Jewish protester in California
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Judge declares mistrial after jury deadlocks in trial of ex-officer in deadly Breonna Taylor raid
- Iranian foreign minister denies Iran's involvement in Red Sea drone attack
- Los Angeles freeway closed after fire will reopen by Tuesday, ahead of schedule, governor says
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Hunter Biden files motion to subpoena Trump, Bill Barr, other Justice Dept officials
Police are investigating a sexual assault allegation against a Utah man who inspired a hit movie
AP Week in Pictures: North America
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Private detective who led a hacking attack against climate activists gets prison time
Poverty is killing the Amazon rainforest. Treating soil and farmers better can help save what’s left
Grand Canyon, nation’s largest Christian university, says it’s appealing ‘ridiculous’ federal fine